Monday, October 21, 2013

Lake Mackenzie Park, Texas

Having dawdled while helping Joseph move we are running out of time so are taking a little more direct route than originally planned to Austin.  One of the things we enjoy about this life style is the flexibility we have in choosing our routes.

So Rider-Planet .com listed this little area as an organized OHV place.  It is run by the local water authority.  It made a nice en-route stop. 

We crossed our very first 13% grade hill.  I was pushing the temps in both the transmission and the engine when we got to the top, it was only a mile long. 

The lake was down to 35% of capacity.  There was a sign banning the towing of persons behind a boat, indefinitely. Because of the lack of use in the last couple of years they have not had the revenue to keep the place up, as a result it is a little long in the tooth, as it were. But it was still a nice place to camp and ride motorcycles.
One of the nicer things they did here was a silhouette tribute to the Cowboy.  This is particularly nice at sunset.  So I parked one of our iron horses next to the monument.

I had a ripping good time on the trails, Barbara found them somewhat challenging.  She gave me a kitchen pass to go play with my toys by myself, I took advantage of it. Only bad part was cutting it a little too close to a prickly pear cactus and having to remove a half dozen thorns from my shins. 

Barbara did pony up and rode several of the trails, but she wasn't as thrilled with it as I was. .

No comments:

Post a Comment