Friday, April 26, 2013

04-26-2013 Corona Arch Rappel

While we were there in 2011 we had hiked up to the Corona Arch, there were some folks rappelling off of it.  With our new found climbing skills we decided we could do that also. 

Here is a 2011 shot of the group on the arch.  Note the people below and in the upper left corner. 


The plan was for me to go up and set the rappel ropes, Barbara would stay below and make sure the ropes reached the ground and take pictures.  I really underestimated the approach.  I was carrying two 90m ropes, one is not long enough.  We hadn’t scouted it, nor had we researched the approach.  So much to our surprise there was a little 5.3 climb on the backside to reach the top.  Someone had set top rope anchors and carved foot holds out on that section.  So up I go, unprotected, carrying two ropes.  And then it got worse. 

 
Another section of 5.3 smearing, I took the wrong route and wound up on some 5.5 stuff, unprotected, 80 foot cliff below the slab I was on.  After slipping once I down climbed a bit and re-evaluated what I was doing.  That’s when I noticed the wear on the rock where the other groups had gone across the face, not up it. 

This brought me to an area that was above the arch.  It had a 5.3 down climb to reach the top of the arch.  Someone had placed an anchor at the top this, so I set up a safety rope to do the down climb.  A slip here could result in a 100 drop to the rock below. 

Barbara was wondering what was taking so long so decided to follow me up the rock.  So she did basically the same thing I did, the little 5.3, then the smear on the slab, she got a slip on the slab also, but she had to down climb the 5.3 unprotected to get back to the bottom.  Scary stuff.

I had left a lot of gear in the truck; this was supposed to be a simple rappel from anchors.  So when I reached the rappel station I noted that there were two set of anchors, the original ones and a new set.  It was apparent that the guide service that leads this has set up some safer, more reliable anchors.  I would have gladly abandoned some web to use the new anchors, but I didn’t have it with me.  So, after finger tightening one of the old anchors, I set up the double rope rappel, it was do or die time, going back was not an option.

Barbara signaled ropes down and untangled, so started the rappel.  Its always the first step that you get the wooley boogers. 


The rest of the rappel was pretty amazing but went smoothly.  It was almost anticlimactic compared to the approach.  
 
Walking down the edge was fine, just don’t look down, concentrate on the rock before you.

Then the big step off, nothing but air below.


And down I go;


Just hanging around;


The rope pulled free without a problem.  While pulling it out I stopped to see where a single rope would reach, about 20 feet above the ground.  We talked it over and decided a repeat for Barbara to be able to do it was not in the cards.  It took me about a half hour before my hands would stop shaking. 

In hind sight we should have scouted the route or hired a guide.  We totally underestimated the complexity.  This activity should have at least three people to accomplish; two climbers that can do a standard multi-pitch climb, and on observer to check the ropes for the rappel.  It wouldn’t hurt to have the observer hold the ropes at the bottom.  It was difficult to keep from spinning while free rappelling.  It was also a good thing I wore gloves.  My ATC and auto-block both got pretty warm. 

Would I do this again?  You bet.  It will be a lot less scary because I now know all the particulars and can plan a safer trip.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment